KNOW WHAT’S NEEDED.
- Be aware of all state and federal recordkeeping requirements for your employees. Make sure you understand what records you must legally keep, and for how long.
- Identify required records that are specific to your industry.
- Know what records should NOT be kept.
- Keep consistent documentation for each employee. Use standardized forms whenever possible.
- You may choose to subdivide and create separate files for each employee. For example, use one Colored Fastener Folder for payroll/performance records, another for health/insurance and a third for benefits/investment information.
- Choose a consistent folder color for each type of file so you can find the right file quickly.
- Use the same tab position for all three files for one employee so they line up in the file drawer. Finding employees is easier, and you’ll have fewer misfiled folders.
- Label the folders with Viewables labels for clear identification.
PROTECT THE DOCUMENTS.
- Update the files regularly. Make sure all information is current.
- Control access to the files. Release the files only to authorized personnel.
- The colored folders make it easy to keep information separated for privacy. Use the fasteners to keep papers secure in the folders and in proper order.
Components of this Organomics Idea include:
- Colored Fastener Folders
- Viewables® Color Labeling System
Learn more about these Organomics ideas:
Using color to organize
Better organization with Fasteners and Dividers
Viewables® labeling for better identification