- Review material to be archived to decide if you really need to keep it.
- Throw out any information that is easily accessible on your computer or on the Internet.
- Do not keep reference material that is quickly outdated such as price lists or catalogs.
- Place materials in 2/5-Cut Colored Folders. The single position tabs in a straight line help you find files quickly.
- Label folders with Viewables labels for clear identification.
- Use different colored folders to separate categories of records.
- Export the file names from Viewables into a spreadsheet application.
- Add columns for keyword cross-referencing and for assigning purge dates.
- Use the search function to locate file headings using keywords or other cross-reference data.
- Use Manila Out Guides to mark where files have been removed from the system.
- Purge archives periodically. Remove all outdated or expired information.
- Sort the spreadsheet by purge dates to locate records to remove from the system.
Components of this Organomics Idea include:
- 2/5-Cut Colored Folders
- Viewables® Color Labeling System
- Manila Out Guides
Learn more about these Organomics ideas:
Long-term storage; what to keep, what to toss
Using color to organize
Find it faster using Straight-Line-Filing
Save time and reduce stress with “Out” Guides